: Scandinavian low-cost carrier, Wow Air has announced that the flights from New Delhi to United States destinations one-way fares start from Rs 13,499.
Iceland-based budget carrier Wow Air flights from Delhi to select North American and European destinations from first week of December and will be routed via Keflavik airport in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Wow Air said the campaign called 'Wow basic', the fare includes all taxes but excludes meal and check-in baggage, which will be charged separately.
Wow Air will connect the Indian customers to nine US cities (Chicago, Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Baltimore and St. Louis) and two Canadian cities (Toronto and Montreal), a low-cost alternative to fly to the vibrant Indian capital via Reykjavik. Boston to New Delhi US$398 round-trip
This move by WOW air will undercut prices by Middle Eastern airlines like Etihad and Emirates who have long been considered the de facto airlines of choice for travellers heading from the US East Coast to India.
Here are 10 things to know about the new Wow Air flights from Delhi to North American and European destinations:
- Wow Air's flight from New Delhi to New York will take about 18-20 hours. That will include about 10.5 hours from New Delhi to and another 5.5 hours from there to New York.
- All luggage barring a laptop-sized bag will be charged additionally, except for some premium-class seats, the airline said.
- The airline will offer connecting flights to 15 North American cities, besides those to European destinations.
- Wow Air offers four fare classes: Wow basic, Wow plus, Wow comfy and Wow premium.
- 'Wow premium' fares at the other end will be priced from Rs 46,599 onwards including taxes, Wow Air founder and chief executive officer Skuli Mogensen said.
- "The airline will have five direct flights a week between New Delhi and Keflavik airport that will connect to multiple destinations in North America and Europe," Mogensen told journalists in New Delhi.
- Wow Air currently serves 39 destinations across Europe and North America with a fleet of three Airbus A320, 13 Airbus A321 and three Airbus A330 aircraft.
- Wow Air will operate India flights five days a week with an Airbus A330 Neo aircraft.
WOW basic fares only include one small personal item up to 22 lbs. Carry-on bag fees start around US$44 (online price) each way for bags larger than 17x13x10 inches. Checked bag fees start around US$64 (online price) each way for bags up to 44 lbs. on basic fares.