Dubai: Global logistics hub with major support from Emirates SkyCargo

Emirates is keen to resume freighter services to Dhaka and Chattogam as it sees Bangladesh as vital market

-Tanvir Shams, Back from Dubai Date: 16 March, 2023

Dhaka : Dubai is a global logistics hub connecting the east and west, thanks to its strategic geographical location and historical background. Moreover, with two state-of-the-art cargo facilities at Dubai International Airport (DXB) and Dubai World Central Airport (DWC), covering a total area of 185,000 square meters, Emirates SkyCargo, the cargo transportation division of Emirates airline, has long been supporting the country to hold its cargo transportation prowess at its peak.

Hiran Gregory Perera, Senior Vice President for Cargo Planning and Freighters of Emirates SkyCargo, said this to a group of Bangladeshi journalists visiting Dubai recently at the invitation of the airline. 

Only 10 per cent of the cargo that Dubai handles gets into Dubai while the remaining 90 per cent goes to other countries around the world, said Perera. 

                       Hiran Gregory Perera

It may be mentioned here that Emirates SkyCargo handles over 50 per cent of the total cargo that Dubai manages. Its dual-airport air cargo hub handles over 8,000 shipments per day and 2.5 million tonnes of cargo per year, running 24/7, added Perera.  

"We connect you to global supply chains with a network of over 140 destinations spanning six continents," noted Perera. 

"In turn, our clients benefit from exceptional reliability and speed. With over 261 wide-body aircraft and 11 B777-F dedicated freighters, our capacity, reach and availability set new industry benchmarks," Perera claimed.

Emirates SkyCargo's state-of-the-art multi-airport cargo facility in Dubai is linked with a bonded truck service.  The airline also boasts a unique facility-SkyPharma, the world's largest GDP-certified pharmaceutical cargo hub.

Perera also claimed that Emirates SkyCargo is in a strong position to deliver garments and other export products from Bangladesh to different countries in the world. 

"Apart from this, we transport perishable products including vegetables to EU countries as well. Emirates plays a leading role in exporting goods from Bangladesh by air," he said. 

Bangladeshi businesspersons can send their products to any destination in the world using the state-of-the-art facilities of Emirates SkyCargo and its most efficient and youngest fleet of aircraft, noted Perera.  

However, Perera sighed, due to the ongoing global economic recession, air cargo transport globally has taken a hit. Still, the demand for air cargo is sure to increase once the situation improves.
Emirates SkyCargo has plans to resume dedicated freighter services to Dhaka and Chattogram of Bangladesh, once the demand rises again, mentioned Perera. 

On the other hand, it is essential for Bangladesh to develop the airports' infrastructure and facilities further to facilitate better air cargo transport, he further opined.   

Currently, as Perera mentioned, Emirates operates three passenger flights to and from Dhaka daily using wide-body Boeing 777 aircraft and carries around 60 tonnes of cargo in the belly hold.

Share this post

Also on Bangladesh Monitor